Location: Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Melanie Booth grew up in Richmond. She obtained her Bachelor of Arts Degree in History at UBC in 2002 and her Law Degree in 2006 at UVIC. She extended her legal studies through her participation in co-op rotations at the Canada Border Services Agency as crown counsel in immigration matters, at the Federal Crown in Drug Prosecutions, and at WorkSafeBC in Occupational Health and Safety Regulation & Prevention into 2007. She was called to the BC bar in 2008.
After combined articles with WorkSafeBC and Campbell Froh May and Rice LLP in Richmond, Melanie worked as in-house litigation counsel for ICBC for 5 years. She also worked as in-house counsel for WorkSafeBC for 2 years in Safety Regulation & Prevention in addition to consulting sole practitioners on personal injury matters.
Since joining Kane Shannon & Weiler in 2016, Melanie's practice areas are insurance defence, personal injury and motor vehicle accident claims, as well as workplace occupational health and safety matters. She has extensive mediation, trial and administrative tribunal experience.
At present, Melanie is working toward her Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation and has already completed a Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety studies from the University of New Brunswick. She is a member of the Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE) Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Subcommittee. The CACE OHS Sub Committee meets to discuss the ongoing state of legislative reform to OHS laws, case development, increased levels of OHS prosecution, and the substantial penalties employers have received for OHS violations.
Outside of the law, Melanie was elected by the City of Surrey's Council to the Parks, Recreation and Sport Tourism Committee in 2015 and she continues in this role presently. She remains active in the volleyball community and enjoys being outside and keeping fit with her 2 children and husband in the Surrey area.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Insurance Defense
- Personal Injury
- Occupational Health & Safety and WorkSafe BC
- Labour & Employment
- Administrative Law
- Human Rights & Disability
- British Columbia, 2008
- University of Victoria, Faculty of Law, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada - 2006
- The University of British Columbia
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 2002
- Major: History
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE), Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Subcommittee, Member
- Chartered Professionals in Human Resources (CPHR), Member
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- ICBC, In-House Litigation Counsel
- WorkSafeBC, In-House Counsel
- Canada Border Services Agency, Crown Counsel
- Federal Crown in Drug Prosecutions
PRO BONO ACTIVITIES
- Parks, Recreation and Sport Tourism Committee, City of Surrey's Council, 2015 - Present